Monday, July 23, 2012

Anchor's Away - such a noob.

So - Building Wooden Ship Models;  why on earth are you doing such a thing?

A change of pace, something different, something new, something "real".  Those would pretty much be the reasons for this little venture.

I have basically been looking for something tangible to do.  The computer is great and having been an avid (obsessed) video gamer for the last 2 decades, the computer was king.  Well, lately been really kind of not getting kicks out of the good ole computer.  I work with them all day, for the last 6 or 7 months have had a tendency to work form home as well - it was getting old.  Computer games, while still enjoyable, don't have that obsessive draw right now they used to have.

So; time for something new.

As a kid into the teens and early 20's I spent a lot of time doing plastic models; WWII armor and Aircraft mainly. Worked in a hobby store to feed that obsession, even took it to show quality pieces and selling some finished work and getting some consignment gigs out of it.  So had thought about getting back into that, but nothing out there really grabbed my attention.    During that time I had always wanted to try the wooden boats; but that was something older people did.   You know, family guys, working stiffs and retired old timers.  An "adult" hobby.

Well, damn it all look at that - married, working stiff (not quite retired though) - damn it; adult.  Guess that means  I qualify eh?

So, debated it a bit, tossed it around and finally the wife said "Go for it, give it a shot".   So I did.  I dug around and looked for something "starterish" (being a noob to this after all).  I ended up finding a Model Shipways Phantom; with a pretty slick starter deal.  Finish the boat in 6 months, send back pics and receipt and get the price of the boat off the next one.  It also came with all the fixings (and since I was stupid and sold my vast, VAST collection of modeling supplies it was nice to have something to start with.) So I ordered it, and away I go.

Very first thing I noticed was one of the reasons this particular hobby was reserved mainly for the "adults"; the cost of the kit.  They are not cheap.  So instantly I am entering into this with anxiety; spend that kind of money on a single kit - if I mess it up.... nope, not going to go there ;)

So, kit ordered, arrives and I crack that puppy open to see what I have gotten myself into.

Holy crap.   A far cry from the polystyrene injected molded utopia of my youth.  It was quickly apparent gone are the days of clearly stepped instruction, marked parts, and good old A1 -> B2 alignment pins, and molded features.

My first thought when opening the box was Pinocchio puked in my model kit.

Well, put that aside and figured I would start reading the instructions - uh boy.

Instead of boxes lined out in clear steps the first thing I see are 3 large fold out schematics of the ship with dimensions and guidelines and rigging patterns, knot selections and a whole bunch of nautical jargon that I am sure is helpful in building this ship; if I had a clue what it meant!!!

Well - all that aside; I calmly centered myself and decided lets start with the very basic goal. That goal, as simply stated as possible was...

Make this.




Look like this.
(The next three images are from the catalog - Model Shipways - Phantom )




What have I done.
(And this is a "beginner" boat. /sigh)


I actually started working on this kit just about a week ago; only recently decided to blog it mainly for my own record of work and to see it progress but also just for kicks.  I really have no idea if anyone is interested in this kind of thing; but on the off chance - hope you enjoy it.  At the very least you can laugh at me/with me along the way; I am sure this will be an exercise in patience unlike anything I have dealt with.  Being my first kit; I am not holding any delusions of Smithsonian quality display piece; I will be very happy with something that looks like a ship and resembles the phantom and not a dingy =)

Anyway - next up;  Carving the hull.

Oh did I not mention that you have to carve, shape, sand the parts yourself?  And, did I leave out that of all the things I have done - woodcarving is not one of them? /facepalm.

Enjoy!!

6 comments:

  1. I have a Phantom kit circa 1970 that I'm about to build. It didn't come with hull templates. Is there any chance you could send me copies?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you don't have a hull template I can scan you a copy

      Delete
  2. Wonderful blog & good post.Its really helpful for me, awaiting for more new post. Keep Blogging!

    Ship Building Course

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Just order that same one this past week to try once in my life and after reading other post Thinking I got myself over my head LOL As for the copper where did you start and as you went along did you have to reshape the copper to keep with the body lines ? Thanks You are doing a great job with your Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had a hard time carving the hull with the templates provided. I find I have to take a lot off to make the hull match the template. in some areas the template almost breaks through the railing if carved at the template is shaped. I had to order a new hull. I am thinking about buying a Dremel to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is indeed a hobby for those who wishes to switch attention or sense from plastic one. I am one of them.

    ReplyDelete