Sunday, July 29, 2012

Stems, Keels and Sternposts - oh my.

Hours on project: 11

So, 11 hours ino the project I finally was able to shape the hull a bit more as well as cut, sand, shape and attach the stem, sternpost and keel.  

This part of the project wasn't too bad, just copied the plans cut out the templates and created the parts and since most of it was straight lines and simple curves it was not a huge hassle.   With any luck the rest of the ship will go as smooth (something tells me that is not going to happen however).

The ships false keel was thinned down to 1/8" to match the keel parts and the rest of the ship was sanded to fit the hull lines necessary. I went with sanding over carving as it was easier at this stage - did I cheat? probobly - will have to get the hang of carving especially for some of the other ships I am looking at but for now, sanding was the answer!

Sadly, not a lot of drama to this so not a whole lot to post about.  Once the parts were cut it was just a thin bead of glue, attach the parts, fill, sand and walla.






I then threw on a coat of primer and a base coat of the hull color to see what it looked like. There were a few spots that needed some more filling/sanding work and I jumped on that to get ready for the next stage.



So, that is it for now; keep in mind these so far have been catch up posts - once I get into some of the coppering posts they will start becoming real time.


Next Up - Coppering the Hull, the Beginning.

2 comments:

  1. I am so proud of the work you are doing!

    Love you!

    Kara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your information, it was really very helpfull.. Mercury 15 hp

    ReplyDelete